Sunday, April 24, 2011

I really find lunch is the hardest meal of the day for me.  It's when I usually end up eating poorly and then my day goes to hell in a handbasket from there.  Recently I spent a bit of time a Bulk Bark picking out different grains I'd like to try.  One of these was wheat berries.  They sounded interesting enough.  Wheat berries are the whole wheat kernel - completely unprocessed.  They have a reasonable amount of protein (7g/cup) and are high in fibre (9g/cup) and relatively low calorie (220 cal/ cup).

So I boiled some of these bad boys up - takes about 90 minutes to cook them.  Joy of Cooking says to cook 1 cup of wheat berries in 3.5 cups water for 90 minutes or until split and chewy.

I was working the next day and work can really put a kink in my plans to be healthy, with Hero Burger a 2 minute walk away, so I quickly sauteed up some artichoke hearts, pitted some kalamata olives and broke apart a bit of goat cheese and voila a mediterreanean grain salad that isn't drenched in oil or fats!  Oh - and it's delish!


No comments:

Post a Comment